I was exploring simplistic dishes that would be clean on your palatte a year ago, when I came across Maangchi’s Kongnamul Guk. I loved the simplistic version of the dish, and was inspired by it to make my own version of it.
I wanted to make it versatile – hearty enough to have during the winter, but light enough to have during the summer months. I personally love have it during spring, because it represents flowers to me (see picture).
In any case, I have since made my own version with more dried food flavors and no garlic, so that you can enjoy it both hot and cold. This dish could be make within 15 minutes if you’ve the Stock Tea bags (discussed more below). My Bean Sprouts Soup is made with Dried Fish and Mushroom broth topped with Scallion. I add miso to it in the winter to make it more hearty.
This is a simple soup that allows you to enjoy the crispy freshness of Bean Sprouts. It is great even with just Kimchi and Rice – simplistic, quick, and delicious!
A love for minimalism
Adorned by the glistening
Light. In the midst of
All the chaos,
The taste of time.
You can replace the broth ingredients with stock broth tea bag like this one. I personally loved the 디포리 국물 용팩 containing Anchovy 35%, Dipori 25%, Shrimp 20%, Kelp 20%. I found this at my local Korean Store (HMart), and I’ve included a picture below, since I wasn’t able to find it online. You can use any broth tea bag with Anchovy and it should give you a nice and light broth.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- 12 Oz (1 Pack) of Soybean Sprouts
- 2000 mL of water
- Broth Ingredient (replace with two stock tea bags for faster cooking)
- 3 Dried Anchovies with guts removed
- 1 Kelp (7″x7″)
- 3-4 Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
- 10 – 20 grams of Shinshu or Yellow Miso (optional for Winter)
- Scallion (for garnish)
This is an optional step that should be for atleast 20 minutes, if you’re not using broth tea bag.
Soak the broth ingredients in the 2000 mL water for 20 minutes before you start cooking
- Start heating up with the water with the soaked broth ingredients or water with the two stock tea bags
- Boil the entire setup for 5 – 10 minutes minutes and discard everything except the water
- Add the Soy Beans Sprouts and let it boil for 10 minutes
- (Optional) Add yellow miso now to you taste
- Garnish with Scallion and serve
Thank you! I hope you enjoy this dish 😊